It was a dark and stormy night when I finally got home, totally exhausted and restless. The only remedy for my tense sensibilities was a soothing bath surrounded by candle lights. I was feeling increasingly relaxed when a sudden door-bell spoiled the peace, for which I was angry at first but afterwards - frightened. My vivid fantasy started to compose bloody detective stories; moreover, I had not noticed the ringing had ceased. Like a captured animal I skulked to the bed-room. I even switched no lights on, but instead crept into my bed and listened frantically. Eventually, the spooky sounds outside gradually lulled me to sleep.
In fact it was my first autumn here, with myself not yet accustomed to the cracking wooden building and branches beating against windows. Neither was I familiar with the common situation - loss of electricity in stormy weather, which was the reason why a neighbor rang at my door to ask for a match-box.
1 comment:
When I wrote it, I realised there's something illogical: "door-bell" when there's no electricity. If it's bothering, read "door-bang". :)
Post a Comment