14 June 2007

How often do you see dropped money on streets? And what do you do then?

On a sunny morning in my typical half-hurried, half-relaxed walking style I slid in the direction of my current working place. Exchanging glances with rushed people, passing wandering cats, and crazy-driving bikers, only sometimes did I remember to check my feet against the crumbled cobblestones. Why am I telling this? You should see my shoemaker grabbing his head when again I’ve brought a pair of shoes which just cries for a change of heels or adhesion of straps…

So, when I am concentrated on what is under my feet, I suddenly notice a note of paper some steps ahead of me. A greenish, nicely folded note, which appeares not to be some kind of trash, but a valuable piece of paper. Five lats. Real money.

Well, I don’t know how to explain my behavior, but all I did was making a helpless gesture with my hands, letting out a silent sigh, and leaving the money there lying alone. I think some force deterred me to pick it, but maybe I did not want to promote reprehensible behavior in me, - after all it was not MY money.

When I told this to a friend of mine, she said I am too much bothered about what others think of me. She might be right, but are we all not?

Well, when I turned back to see whether the money was still there, I saw nothing. Someone else, who did not mind being regarded greedy or something, had taken it just when I had passed it.

Two weeks have passed and I’m still thinking of this occasion. Maybe because I pass the place by every day, maybe that the whole day turned out strange. Five lats on a ground and thirty-five for the Placebo concert. None of them mine...

4 comments:

Srinivas DMS said...

If you think the money is getting into the greedy hands, you can always pick it up. Not for you, but for the real needy.

:)

after we are playing the game, the life, and participation does matter.

:)

Paul said...

Pennies from Heaven.

Perhaps not picking it up was a more valuable lesson? Value is a very individualistic thing - and money only a small part of it.

You pick such interesting topics... :-)

Unknown said...

Don't we all regret mistakes. You wish you had picked up the money. But perhaps the regret is worth more in the long run. You may have bought some average things you buy every day with the new found money. You have more to learn by losing the money. If I had to redo any day I think I would do a lot differently. But perhaps I would be better off with a first impression then a second chance impression.

Silga said...

Hey,guys!You talk here of values, moral, lessons, and all the other good stuff, but when I ask you "what do YOU do when you see dropped money", I hear no answer!